Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Easy as pie.. pasta pie.. pie pasta sauce.. wait, what?

This is a suuuuper easy marinara sauce that i make. It's very easy to alter to your tastes too.

You'll need:

1 can crushed tomatoes
1 carrot
1 onion
garlic
basil
olive oil

As soon as my tomato plants start yielding mass amounts of tomatoes, I won't use canned. I most definitely prefer fresh tomatoes when making sauces, but alas my toms are babies right now.

Heat up a saucepot and drizzle in some extra virgin olive oil. Finely chop a carrot, about 2 tbs will be fine. The carrot acts as a natural sweetener. I find that canned tomatoes are too salty, so the carrot helps balance that. Chop up 1 medium sized onion (or half of a large one) and throw it and the carrot in the pot. Hit it with some pepper and a tiny pinch of salt (to make it sweeeaat). After a few minutes add some chopped garlic to the party. I usually go with about 3 cloves, sometimes more. You can use as little or much as you want, it's up to you. After a few minutes add the tomatoes and let 'er cook. Add to that about half a cup or so of fresh cut basil. You can use dried, but don't use half a cup. That's a LOT. ha. If you're using dried I'd say... about... 2 tbs maybe. You can also add oregano, but I don't always have that on hand (and the puppies ate the plant I was growing...) so I don't usually worry about.

Let it all cook until everything is super soft, then blend it! I don't like my sauce chunky so I blend the crap out of it. But to each their own, leave it chunky if that's what you like. Taste it and make sure you've added enough salt/pepper. And then EAT IT!

2 comments:

  1. This sauce sounds easy and yummy kt..maybe even I will give it a try!

    p.s. I finally figured out how to post a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I love marinara sauce!!

    ReplyDelete